Thursday, August 6, 2009

View to an egg continued

In no particular order, because no single portion is more important than another, I will describe why each image was chosen. To begin this description I will explain why the lattice is used to connect the circled images and also why the acanthus leaves grace the bottom of the design.

The emu egg I carved last year which went to the Forbes Art Gallery in New York City was a lattice and acanthus design done in the style of Faberge eggs. This was the first piece I carved which was chosen for public display. I integrated that same idea as my personal contribution to the overall design.
This first image is to commemorate the first residents of this region. A stylized Native American motif using the state animal which is the coyote. I feel all peoples had influence on what Vermillion is today and I want to acknowledge the diversity of our country to which South Dakota owes allegiance.

Second is a representation of the university which functions in Vermillion. This is the only university in South Dakota to offer a degree in Fine Art. Also, the offer degrees in medicine and law which no other South Dakota school offers. My affinity is of course to the arts.

This building is the first city hall. I wanted to record history in this work as it is important to the festivities this gift is meant to celebrate. During this 150th year of the city a new city hall was dedicated. Since the people have this new building in their lives every day I chose to put the historical city hall in the design to bring both the old and the new together.

This last image is of the state flower which is the Pasque. This is here simply because I wanted another image to represent the state that wasn't Mount Rushmore. That image has been done to death. I also like the way flowers look when carved in relief on the ostrich egg shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment